Colmar - The Wine Capital of Alsace
Colmar is a pocket-size city with a chill out atmosphere. A city filled with treasures – artistic masterpieces, gothic churches, renaissance architecture – and enchanting corners waiting to be discovered.
Strasbourg has la “ Petite France”, Colmar has “ Little Venice” , where colourful half-timbered houses decorate the banks of the canals.
But Colmar is much more than that…
If Strasbourg has become a European Capital, Colmar is the Alsatian capital by excellence. Its history (associated with the history of the wine in the region) and its location (over fertile soil and at the carrefour of many important routes) have led the city to be in the hub of important cultural and economic exchanges.
A guided walking tour in Colmar could be combined (depending on the duration of the tour) with a short visit to one of the following museums:
- Unterlinden Museum: a former convent transformed into a museum that keeps precious works of art, such as the Issenheim Altarpiece: 11 painted panels that open to tell the story of Christ and St. Anthony. A renaissance masterpiece.
- Bartholdi Museum: few people know that the Statue of Liberty – one of the most famous monuments in the world – was the work of this Alsatian. In his hometown – which was turned into a museum -, his story is told through personal notes, drawings and miniature models of his works.
- Hansi Museum: Considered to be the “Ambassador of Popular Traditions in Alsace”, Jean Jacques Waltz was an Alsatian designer who was born and lived under the exchange of nationalities between France and Germany in Alsace. His works are filled with regional and national symbols, depicting an “idyllic Alsace”, prove of his strong attachment to his homeland.
Here are a few ideas on how to include a tour in Colmar on your Alsatian program:
- 2h Guided tour of the city centre of Colmar: During this tour we will see the main attractions of Colmar as well as my favourite corners/squares/points of view. *Transportation cost for the guide to be added to the price of the tour: 20 euros return.
- On your Full Day programme along the Wine Road in Alsace: during this 8h long program (depart and return from Strasbourg), we will drive through a portion of the Wine Road (stopping to admire the landscape), visit Colmar (guided tour of the old town) and visit one other medieval village at your choice (have a look at my page ‘WINE ROAD IN ALSACE” for more info about them). Transportation type: private VTC (vehicle with a driver) from a partner company (please enquiry about prices) OR a rental car (paid for and driven by the client).
- Return Day Trip by Train from Paris: yes, it is possible to do a full day tour in Alsace when you came (and return) by TGV train from Paris (1h45min each way). This full day excursion combines a guided walking tour of Strasbourg in the morning, followed by an afternoon guided walking tour in Colmar *Train Strasbourg-Colmar-Strasbourg at your own expensive. *Transportation cost for the guide to be added to the price of the tour: 20 euros return.
Get in touch now so we can organise together your memorable stay in Alsace.